recipe by Samadini
Eggplant, or aubergine (as what the rest of the world calls this purple beauty) is a favorite in India. And amongst all the eggplant dishes, Beguni is a Bengali dish that is of the most well loved.
Beguni (Fried Eggplant)
- Cut eggplant into 1/4 inch (1/2 - 1cm) thin slices. Sprinkle with salt and put it on top of paper towels to draw out any excess liquid.
- To chickpea flour, add salt, turmeric, red chili, garam masala, and nigella. Add water to make a golden colored paste. More water can be added if necessary to create the consistency of a thick cream.
- Heat the mustard oil until hot.
- Coat the begun in the chickpea paste.
- One by one, drop into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown. Turn and brown other side.