Black Cumin / Kalo Jeera
Black cumin is thinner, smaller, and darker than regular cumin and is a popular spice in Northern Indian, Pakistani, and Iranian cuisine. Its flavor is sweeter than regular cumin with strong notes of lemon and caraway. Also known as Kashmiri cumin, its seeds are used whole and toasted, imparting a nutty essence, and used to flavor curries, vegetables, bread products.
whole seeds and ground
Black cumin is considered to:
- Help the body eliminate harmful bacteria and regenerate cells and tissue
- Contain antifungal properties
- Aid in the treatment of cancer, diabetes, and infections
- Promote liver health and weight loss
- Stimulate healthy skin and hair growth
Powdered coriander, chili powder, or caraway seeds can be used to replace black cumin. Be sure to halve the amount called for, then adjust to taste.