Recipe by: Neeta
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp black cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups fresh fenugreek (or 1 cup frozen if fresh is not available)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 cup water
- Sift together the whole wheat and all-purpose flour. Then add black cumin and salt.
- Add a Tbsp of oil and begin kneading.
- Add the fresh fenugreek (or thawed frozen fenugreek) and continue to knead.
- Add turmeric, and continue to knead.
- Begin adding a little water at a time and continue to knead well until dough is soft, smooth, and pliable. (This step requires quite a bit of elbow grease. If you have a standup mixer with a dough hook, it would be a big help.)
- Rest the dough for about 30 minutes. Then separate dough into balls (approx 2 in / 5 cm).
- Flatten the ball slightly and dip it into flour to prevent sticking.
- Roll out using a rolling pin until dough is nice and thin.
- Heat up a pan or griddle to medium high with a small amount of oil or ghee.
- The paratha will begin to puff and bubble, flip to the other side and cook until you see golden brown spots.